Monday, January 22, 2007

Burning Man Outfits -People ARE Art!



As many of you know, I have gotten great inspiration from Burning Man. I have read lots and had many conversations about 'what is burning man' and why I and others go all the way out to the desert for a week a year.
Well, I have given this so much thought and to break it down into one paragraph is probably impossible but I will try. I think burning man is such a unique experience for each person. Everyone gets something different out of it because everyone puts something different into it. Now that is not to say that some people don't have similar expectations or experiences out there. It is the most open place I have ever been with people. Since the 'rules' of this experimental society are few - it is up to you to try out and be who ever you want, without judgement! This is what it is to me. There are no ways to look or ways to act. You get to do anything you want and be anyone you want. You are not defined by your job in the outside world. Our society and culture tells us a lot about who deserves respect and who does not. Those rules don't work out there because everyone is engaged in a similar activity. Camping in harsh conditions, staying hydrated in the heat of the sun, going to events, seeing art etc... It is kind of the great equalizer.

I could go on and on but will save that for another blog. This blog is about my style and my burning man style is a large part of that. The key to burning man for me is that I discovered that art isn't just something people DO. Art is who we are! Each persons expression is ART. Whether they do that through a huge piece of forged metal shaped as a man walking in the desert or as something they design to put on. The hair, clothes, dance, walk, whatever you do that expresses how you are and has your unique view on life is YOUR ART!

My expression is about having fun in clothes, not having 'fashion rules' and being free to be wild. So I thought on that note I would include some of the pictures of my outfits from BM 2006. Most of the items I designed and made!

No comments:

website page counter